Jacksonville, FL & northern Florida Counseling Services
The main warning signs of substance abuse come from changes in behavior, attitude, activities, physical appearance, and social circle. However, the below symptoms of substance abuse may be caused by other factors, such as depression, stress, or general teen angst.
Regardless of cause, if your child or another family member is displaying patterns of substance abuse, you should contact a therapist to discuss your concerns. Early chemical addiction treatment and rehab is the best way to limit the progression of substance abuse problems.
Behavioral Substance Abuse Signs
Changes in behavior are signs of substance abuse in teens and adults. Common warning signs and substance abuse screening tools include:
- Sleep patterns – A constantly lethargic teen or sleeping at strange hours of day is a common substance abuse symptom
- Motivation – Lack of motivation or energy may require scheduling an appointment at our Florida marijuana addiction treatmentcenter
- Eating habits, such as significant weight gain or loss
- Excessive secretiveness
- Complaints from teachers or co-workers
- Irritability and nervousness
- School / Work Performance – Skipping school or arriving late to work is a common warning sign
Physical Signals of Substance Abuse
Drugs and alcohol greatly affect the physical health of those abusing them. Physical changes are effective substance abuse screening tools. Common physical warning signs that may signify drug and alcohol abuse include:
- Cold, sweaty palms
- Distinct odor of a substance on clothes or breath
- Lack of physical coordination
- Red eyes
- Nausea or vomiting
- Needle marks on the bottom of feet, legs, or lower arm
- Excessive chattiness
- Severe dental problems, especially with methamphetamine
- Chronic nosebleeds
- Sudden change in clothing, such as wearing long-sleeved shirts in summer to hide needle marks
- Chronic, heavy coughing
Dangers of Substance Abuse
If your loved one is showing common substance abuse red flags, then you should be greatly concerned.
Stimulants, like cocaine and methamphetamine, can cause long-term dental problems, sleeping difficulty, and severe weight loss.
On the other hand, opiates and barbiturates can reduce blood pressure and breathing to dangerous levels.
Get Counseling Today – Substance Abuse Jacksonville
If you have found paraphernalia or if a loved one is displaying symptoms and warning signs of substance abuse, it is essential to contact a mental health center today. At Breakthroughs, our Jacksonville, Florida therapists develop individualized, cost-effective treatment plans for drug and alcohol addiction.