Substance Abuse Among Nurses
Jacksonville, FL & northern Florida Counseling Services
While no conclusive evidence details the amount of substance abuse among nurses, the access nurses have to drugs puts them at greater risk of chemical addiction than the general public.
If you are a nurse suffering from substance abuse, or have been court ordered to seek chemical addiction treatment, Breakthroughs Alcohol and Drug Rehab Center in Jacksonville, Florida can help. Contact our therapists to get counseling today.
Statistics of Substance Abuse Among Nurses
The majority of hospitals do not conduct random drug screenings. Therefore, researchers rely on the information provided by nursing staff. Often these testimonials are inaccurate as leaked information may cost nurses their jobs.
Still, some studies have been conducted that detail nurse substance abuse statistics. According to The American Nurses Association, approximately one in five nurses suffer from substance abuse problems.
Another study released in the American Journal of Public Health cites that in 1998:
- Approximately 40,000 American nurses suffer from alcoholism
- Marijuana addiction is 3.5 times higher among emergency nurses than non-emergency nurses
- Cocaine use is higher amongst emergency and pediatric nurses than any other specialty
- Binge drinking is highly prevalent amongst oncology, critical care, and emergency nurses
- Prescription drug addiction is a problem across all fields of nursing
Consequences of Drug &
Substance Abuse Among Nurses
Substance abuse in the workplace results in higher claims of worker’s compensation and poor production levels. When nurses are abusing substances however, the risks are amplified.
Consequences of drug abuse among nurses include:
- Wrongful death of a patient
- Medication errors, poor basic care, and patient abuse
- Financial losses for hospitals and clinics due to stolen drugs, legalities involving medical malpractice, lost wages, and re-hiring of nurses terminated due to substance abuse
Are You a Nurse Suffering
From Chemical Addiction?
Nurses addicted to alcohol and drugs need rehab. If you fail to seek treatment and your substance abuse problem is revealed, you may suffer catastrophic career consequences, such as:
- Lower wages
- Lose your job and entire career
While the short-term costs of substance abuse treatment may seem high, they are mild compared to the devastating injuries that can be inflicted on innocent patients.
Our Mental Health & Rehab Center in Jacksonville, Florida can get you on the road to recovery. At Breakthroughs, we treat substance abuse among nurses with individualized, drug addiction and alcohol abuse treatment plans.
If you are a nurse and require chemical addiction treatment, please contact our Jacksonville counseling services office to get on the road to recovery.