Jacksonville, FL & northern Florida Counseling Services
Researchers have found that domestic violence and substance abuse go hand-in-hand. In fact, approximately one fourth to one half of men who commit acts of domestic violence have substance abuse problems.
Both domestic violence and substance abuse wreck havoc on families, traumatize children, and can cause generations to have chemical addiction problems. If you are a victim of domestic violence in Jacksonville, you need to contact a Florida mental health center that can get you the counseling and help you need.
Domestic Violence and Substance Abuse Facts
The connection between substance abuse and domestic violence is evident—and women are not the only victims. According to the National Committee to Prevent Child Abuse, approximately 80% of child abuse cases are associated with alcohol and other drugs.
Other studies have found that women addicted to drugs or abuse alcohol are more likely to become domestic violence victims. Additionally, domestic violence victims are more likely to be dependent on an array of drugs, such as:
Substance Abuse and Family Violence
– Affects on Children
The affect of alcohol/drug abuse and family violence on children is devastating. Studies spell out the danger faced by children that are victims of domestic violence:
- Approximately 40% of children from violent homes say that their fathers abused alcohol and were more physically abusive when drinking
- Children that were physically abused are more likely to abuse substances later in life
- Teachers are three times as likely to call protective services for children raised by a substance abusing parent
- Alcoholic women are more likely to have been abused as children than nonalcoholic women
- Women seeking substance abuse treatment are likely to have been domestic violence victims
- Witnessing domestic violence during childhood increases aggression later in life
Domestic violence wrecks havoc on children. If you were a victim of domestic violence as a child, you need a counselor that can help you come to terms with your past, so your children don’t suffer as you did.
Get Counseling Today
Domestic violence must be addressed before it is too late.
If you are currently the victim of domestic violence and substance abuse or experienced domestic violence as a child, our Jacksonville mental health center can get you the help you need.
Please contact our Jacksonville, Florida therapists today. At Breakthroughs, we understand how difficult this first step is, but delaying treatment and legal help only puts you and your children at greater risk.